See my website -

Postby gary bamford on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm

“A long, long time ago... I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile…

But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.”

Lyrics from a classic track by Don McLean, American Pie, which was written about the
day Buddy Holly, Big Bopper, and various others were tragically killed in a plane crash. A very moving song, (even though Madonna did her best to ruin it a few years ago) but still relevant today as it could be used to describe Sunday August 7th 2011….The day “Swagger Jagger” went to number 1. Now, those of you that read last month column will know I have nothing against the Chav-Queen herself, as I said previously she provides a great service, and her version of “Turn my swag on” wasn’t that bad, but I am convinced who ever wrote “Swagger Jagger” is having a good laugh at us all! Many people have said to me “How does a song like that get to number 1?” Well, the obvious answer is by selling more copies than anyone else in a specific week. But this one genuinely stumped me, I’ve worked in record shops for about 12 years, and have seen some real rubbish get to number 1, but I really couldn’t work out who was buying this. Radio was slagging it off, I played it once in the club and actually got boo’d, tried it at an older persons event, got that look old people have when the government close a bus route down or put up the price of tea. So who was responsible??? I was stumped…..until I did a primary school disco. They loved it, sang along, couldn’t get enough of it! So now we know. As I said last month, I am going to try and use this column to make the world a better place, so the message from this months is easy. There is one thing we can take forward from the story above it is that this could’ve been prevented if we’d activated the parental controls on our home computers so the kids couldn’t get on itunes, and if Jamie Oliver hadn’t made our kids eat healthy, they’d have been too fat to walk to HMV to buy it!

But don’t worry, there is some good music out there, and I’ve tried to list a few of them in the chart below. Also check out the Shy FX remix of “The A Team” by Ed Sheeran, A different style to their normal remixes, sounds like they broke into UB40’s kitchen and stole a backbeat(I don’t know if UB40 keep their backbeats in the kitchen, they keep their rats there!)but def worth a listen.
Until next time………

P.S. I’ve just been mailed the new Jason DeRulo single, and he doesn’t sing his name in it!!!! How am I meant to know who its by???(I Mean, Apart from the fact its awful, therefore probably by the half-faced prat)

P.P.S You may have notice there are no insults for the owner of the mag this month, He’ll already be upset as he loves “Swagger Jagger”

1 - EXAMPLE - Stay Awake (Extended Mix)

2 - DAVID GUETTA feat SIA - Titanium (Original Mix)

3 - CALVIN HARRIS - Feels So Close (Extended)

4 - RAY FOXX feat LOVELLE - The Trumpeter (La Musica) (Vocal Mix)

5 - FLORENCE & THE MACHINE - U Got The Love (M Knight Remix)

6 - MOBY - Go (Woody Van Eyden Bootleg)

7 - GLOWORM vs DJ NATALIE PARKER - Carry Me Home (Club Mix)

8 - RIZZLE KICKS - Down With The Trumpets (Pitron & Sanna Remix)

9 - KELLY ROWLAND feat LIL WAYNE - Motivation (DJ Loki Remix)

10 - AK NOEL - Loca People (Explicit Extended)

11 - TEMPLECLOUD - One Big Family (Digital Dog Remix)

12 - 2 BEARS - Bear Hug (House Of Stank Remix)

13 - ADELE - Set Fire To The Rain (Moto Blanco Remix)

14 - BEVERLY KNIGHT - Cuddly Toy (Dave Doyle Remix)

15 - FOSTER THE PEOPLE - Pumped Up Kicks

16 - CEE LO GREEN - Cry Baby (Moto Blanco Remix)

17 - BINGO PLAYERS - Cry (Just A Little)

18 - RYE RYE feat ROBYN - Never will be Mine (Kat Krazy Remix)

19 - ROBYN - Call Your Girlfriend

20 - SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA - Save The World (Zedd Remix)
gary bamford

Return to Gary Bamford