July 2012

See my website - http://www.vjgary.co.uk/

July 2012

Postby gary bamford on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 pm

I was going to make this months subject "requests, and should DJs play them" but I'm gonna hold that over as my position on this is currently in doubt. I've always been of the mind that DJs should play requests, provided it hasn't already been played in the last couple of hours, or would totally kill the atmosphere. There are two reasons I'm currently reconsidering my position on this, reason one is "hotel room service" man, one of the rudest people I've ever had the misfortune to come across at work, who seems to think its perfectly acceptable to demand the aforementioned Pitbull song be played again, even if it's in the closing bars of being played from last time he asked. The second reason is Vybz Kartel, obviously.

Anyway, I’d like to refer to a status I posted last week on The Book Of Face after a conversation with a young lady(who apparently DJ’s as well) when the opening line was “Where are your vinyls mate?” A number of my friends saw this and “liked” it, but I feel in need to explain it further. Now firstly, I always believed (and have just Googled to check) that the plural of vinyl is vinyl, but putting correct use of grammar aside, She was of course referring to the age old argument as to you can’t be a “proper” DJ if you don’t use turntables & vinyl records. I really have no opinion on this, In my time I’ve used vinyl, tape, CDs, minidisc & laptops, and I don’t think any less of any DJ who uses or hasn’t used any of these formats, If you can keep a dancefloor busy, who cares what the music is stored on? I’d ask you, the readers, opinion on this, but either no one reads this or no one cares, so I won’t bother. The thing that did amuse me the most was the fact the second line of the conversation was “Will you play Rizzle Kicks-Mama do the hump?” (As you would have noticed, No “please” at the end) The ironic thing being, as far as I’m aware, this track wasn’t released on vinyl, so if I was a “proper” DJ, I wouldn’t have been able to play it
Anyway, talking of “proper” DJs, I’ll try and remember to include the “Don’t you have proper DJs in this club then?” conversation in next months column.
Here’s the tunes……..

1> HADOUKEN-Bad Signal(Wideboys Extended)
2> DELILAH-Inside My Love(Radio Edit)
3> ELTON JOHN vs PNAU-Good Morning To The Night(Cahill Remix)
4> SEAN KINGSTON-Live It Up(Back 2 Life)(Original)
5> MICHAEL JACKSON-Bad(Afrojack Remix)
6> WILEY-Heatwave(Kat Krazy Remix)
7> KNIEVELS feat.LULU-Love Loves To Love Love(Hoxton Whores Remix)
8> NICKI MINAJ-Pound The Alarm/Va Va Voom
9> LOREEN-Euphoria(Wawa Remix)
10> LABRINTH-Express Yourself(Wideboys Remix)
11> DA URBAN OUTLAWS-4am(Original)
12> D’BANJ-Oliver Twist(Ruff Loaderz Remix)
13> NELLY FURTADO-Big Hoops(Wideboys Remix)
14> CEDRIC GERVAIS-Molly(Danny Howard Remix)
15> RUDIMENTAL feat.JOHN NEWMAN-Feel The Love(Patrick Hagenaar Remix)
16> RITA ORA-How We Do(Party)(Jyhouse Extended Mix)
17> RIHANNA feat.CALVIN HARRIS-Where Have You been(Extended)
17> IAN CAREY feat.ROSETTE & TIMBALAND- Amnesia(Extended)
18> DARIO G-Sunchyme(Hi Def Remix)
19> MAROON 5 feat.WIZ KHALIFA-Payphone(Original)
20> DJ FRESH feat.DIZZEE RASCAL-The Power(Club Mix)

gary bamford

Return to Gary Bamford